Wednesday, March 30, 2005

NYT BS Watch

I don't know much about AIDS and I'm not an expert in disease but I know what words mean. Here's a quote from Nicholas Kristof's column today, When Marriage Kills.

"The stark reality is that what kills young women here is often not promiscuity, but marriage." He then goes on to relate the all-too-familiar tale of the woman who married a man who found a job in another city. "She suspected that he had a girlfriend there, but he would return to the village every couple of months to visit her." He died of AIDS and she "worries that she and her beautiful 2-year-old daughter have H.I.V. as well."

To review, Kristof claims that it is "often not promiscuity, but marriage" that kills young women. But it is the promiscuity of their husbands that kills them, not the fact that they are married per se. The women may not be promiscuous but it is promiscuity that kills them none the less.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for supporting the use of condoms but there is no need to obscure the truth about the lethality of promiscuous sex.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home