Leftist Lawyer Convicted of Aiding Terror Groups
Good news indeed. Lynn Stewart, attorney for the blind cleric of jihad Omar Abdel-Rahman, was convicted today in NYC.
Stewart faces up to 20 years in prison on charges that include conspiracy, giving material support to terrorists and defrauding the U.S. government.
Update: Very interesting debate over at the Democratic Underground about this case. I was surprised to find that some were pleased at the conviction and believe it was a just verdict. Predictably others think the whole thing was a government setup. Looks like some reasonable people are standing up to what post 42 calls "agenda blinded zealot." Quotes:
3. Unbelievable. This is worse than jailing political dissidents!!!
32. Welcome To Amerika!
5. The right outcome. She helped the sheikh communicate and maintain his terrorist network and organization. I hope she rots.
18. She did NOTHING of the sort. This is one of the darkest days in the history of the American legal system.
14. I agree with the jury on this one.
36. Her position is simply that what she did ought not be a crime. I am basing this based on what I have heard her ADMIT TO freely and without coersion. Case closed.
58. This is a very sad day in America.
tags: blog rants politics