Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Iraqi Election Jokes and Revealing Comments

If you didn't catch the Daily Show last night, I think it's rerun this evening. It was hit-and-miss but I thought the fake Iraqi Ballot was funny. At the bottom is the "Initiative A: Would you support federal funds to construct a new stadium in Baghdad for soccer, cricket and other non-execution-related purposes?" You can download the ballot for more laughs.

Fareed Zakaria, of Newsweek, was the guest and of course they talked about the elections. Near the end of the show, Jon Stewart made a revealing comment. I don't have a transcript.

Updated quotes: Here's part of the Stewart quote from, of all places, The National Review. "I’ve watched this thing unfold from the start and here’s the great fear that I have: What if Bush, the president, ours, has been right about this all along? I feel like my world view will not sustain itself and I may, and again I don’t know if I can physically do this, implode."

He continued (from memory): It's great that people want this (democracy) but I wonder if we get there without, you know, the armed insurrection, invasion and occupation.

I thought that quote, as comedians often do, summed up a larger issue, in this case the thoughts of an entire wing of the Democratic party and one particular strand of the international Left. A true pearl from Stewart. Nobody wants (unthinkable!) Bush proved right. Everyone wants the outcome but what if it takes invasion and occupation to get it? We don't live in a world of easy answers and morally pure choices.

Of course the occupation could have been better managed, even much better managed. But only a fool thinks that it could have been free of mistakes or loss of life, American and Iraqi. We still have a long way to go and failure, nightmarish, slaughterhouse failure, is still a possibility. But the only sure way to avoid failure, as Homer Simpson told Bart, is not to try. More on fears on the Left.
tags:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home