Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Blogging and Anonymity

When I started this blog I made a conscious decision to remain anonymous. Lots of bloggers don't. Some even use their name as their blog title and as part of their URL. Not me, baby. As Max, played by Vanessa Redgrave, remarked in Mission Impossible, "I don't have to tell you what a comfort anonymity can be - like a warm blanket."

The whole point was to cast my noxious opinions into the void without worrying about pissing off people I know or having to worry about being wacked by jihadists for stuff like this, posting these four pictures or quoting Dante and Schopenhauer. Don't laugh. Shit happens.

Long story short, lots of people I work with know about this now. What's a blogger to do? Well, I could write some really dull posts about, say how Wallace Steven's ideas about interiority found a dead-end in the long poems of John Ashbery. Or I could post several detailed analyses of the grammer of H.P. Lovecraft. How about opposite tactic? Write a bunch of posts discussing the pros and cons of various drugs prescribed for the treatment of anal warts. (Not that I suffer from them mind you.) This way my coworkers would find that I am boring and/or disgusting, something most of them already know, and they would move on to more interesting venues.

However, I don't have the will or the stomach to do either. I guess I'll have to live with it and welcome my new readers, fully aware that they know who I am and will see me in, gasp, real life. So ...

Welcome new readers. Down the sidebar are links to my iFAQs, Greatest Hits, and the Archives. Feel free to leave comments. You'll also find links to other, better, bloggers. The Watch.WindsofChange.net is a good place to start. It compiles news items about the War on Terror from media outlets around the world with no commentary. I find it to be an invaluable resource and read it everyday.

If you find my whole blog to be a collosal waste of time, I highly recommend this opinion piece by Fouad Ajami in today's Wall Street Journal. Or William Shawcross's comments in Monday's Guardian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home