Saturday, September 25, 2004

Thoughts Written Late at Night

I am gripped by anxiety, seized by a physical and spiritual trembling. I feel it in my abdomen, below my sternum. I shudder with a dread I cannot articulate. I fear that the world I grew into, the ideals I hold dear, the structure and values of my life are fading into an irretrievable past.

I am not talking about Iraq or bin Laden or the deficit. These are mere details in the foreground. Behind that, blurred by distance, beyond the haze and mist of everyday trivia, the latest beheadings or explosions, the candidates and the passing scandals, I discern the outline of a catastrophe that dominates the horizon, so vast that it is nearly invisible; it looms before us and we mistake it for the sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home