Thursday, September 09, 2004

Going to Make You Look Like Idiots if It's Not Too Late Already

I'd like to remind my loyal readers that Rant Wraith is non-partisan. I'm not rabidly pro-Bush. There are many, many issues on which I disagree with W's position. The deficit and the debt are frightening. I'd support rolling back the tax cuts from a few years ago - even the ones on the middle class. I think the Medicare drug giveaway will come back to bite us in the ass (and it will be a very expensive bite). I'd like to force auto makers to increase fuel efficiency (although I'd trade drilling in ANWR to get it). I'd like to means-test Social Security and Medicare and raise the retirement age.

However, as a former campaign staffer, as a political junkie, as a freaking American voter I am appalled at the ineptitude of the Kerry campaign. It's almost like he wants to lose. And not just the Swift Boat stuff either (although his non-response to the charges was a disgrace). Here's a classic example courtesy of kausfiles:

Spirit-crushing foolishness from my candidate, John Kerry. The nation is trying to figure out how to fight global terrorism and he's talking about having "not just a Department of Health and Human Services, but a Department of Wellness." How about a Department of F***ing Perspective? If Bush is smart he'll be ridiculing Kerry about this for the rest of the month. ...Thanks, Iowa!

Kerry changes his view on Iraq so often it's become a game trying to track down which prior view he contradicts today. Here's a perfect example from Bill Kristol, nailing Kerry's current view of Iraq as "the wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time":

On December 16, at Drake University in Iowa, Kerry asserted that "those who doubted whether Iraq or the world would be better off without Saddam Hussein, and those who believe today that we are not safer with his capture, don't have the judgment to be president or the credibility to be elected president."

Less than a year ago. During the primaries. Does he even remember that? Isn't someone on the campaign keeping up with this? Has that much changed in 9 months? If so, he should explain how he got from "doesn't have the judgment" to "wrong war".

I have to agree with this brave voter in St. Paul (via The Note):

"Katie Simenson, 41, a massage therapist, accused the Democratic ticket of letting Republicans suggest that Mr. Edwards had taken frivolous cases as a lawyer and that Mr. Kerry was a waffler and soft on defense.

'They're going to run you right over and make you look like idiots,' Ms. Simenson said.

Mr. Edwards sought to answer, promising 'to fight every day between now and Election Day" and assuring her that Mr. Kerry "is strong, courageous and he is a fighter.'

'And I like to believe I am the same thing,' he said. But Ms. Simenson shook her head.


See guys, promising to fight is not the same as actually fighting. I could go on and on. The "sensitive" war comments. Kerry's incomprehensible speech patterns, the "I am not unaware of" stuff. Add all this to the vacations (who takes days off when running for president?), the skiing, the motorcycle and his other rich-guy activities, his refusal to release his full military or medical records or Teresa's tax records (though W has released all of his) his utter lack of a coherent message or the most rudimentary campaign discipline or any charisma... You can see where I'm going. I'll end with an anecdote from Instapundit (quoting the NYT) that sort of sums it all up:

Everybody told me, 'God, if you're coming to Canonsburg, you've got to find time to go to Toy's, and he'll take care of you,'" Mr. Kerry said, dropping the name of a restaurant his motorcade had passed on the way in. "I understand it's my kind of place, because you don't have to - you know, when they give you the menu, I'm always struggling: Ah, what do you want?

"He just gives you what he's got, right?" Mr. Kerry added, continuing steadily off a gangplank of his own making: "And you don't have to worry, it's whatever he's cooked up that day. And I think that's the way it ought to work, for confused people like me who can't make up our minds."

You said it dude, not me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home